Wednesday, September 29, 2010

TV5

I just changed our cable company in order to get access to French TV5.  Our bill ended up going up ~$20/month.  We will also get faster Internet service and additional HDTV boxes so that is good.  I consider myself a pretty loyal customer so it did bother me to drop our current cable provider.  As far as companies go, they have been excellent and they are a local company so I like the idea of supporting them.  Unfortunately they don't offer TV5 and after a few calls to inquire about it, there is no chance of them getting it.  $20 per month doesn't seem like much, but we bundle it all together and it ends up being a pretty expensive bill, so increasing it doesn't sit well with me, but I have heard TV5 is excellent and a must for language training.  Hopefully it is all worth it. 

I am months away from getting on the register, but the current talk of life on the register is so dismal right now.  At this point, I don't know that the 0.17 points I will (might) get from French will help me anyway.  I just don't think I have the means to study a SCNL right now.  One consistent theme I have heard about language training (and the FS in general) is to pick something that might be useful to you anyway.  I really enjoy French and might be able to use it professionally in other ways in the future, so I don't think it will be a total loss should this all not work out.  At this point I will just push forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment