Tuesday, November 2, 2010

What's in a Name?

So the past week I have gotten a taste of what life might be like working for the government and it is very interesting.  The first issue surrounds the spelling of my daughter's name, oddly enough.  Everything we have submitted on my daughter and received from DOS on my daughter has had her name spelled a specific way.  The correct, specific way.  Last week I submitted her medical clearance paperwork.  Yesterday I received an e-mail stating that her paperwork was received and her medical clearance is in process.  The only glitch was that I noticed her name had been misspelled.  She has a "v" in her name and for whatever reason, it had been changed in the MED e-mail to an "r."  I, kindly, send an e-mail back thanking them for the information and letting them know that they misspelled her name in the e-mail (several times).  This seems straight forward enought, right?  NO!  Two days and a total of nine (I think) e-mails later and I am no closer to having her name changed to the correct spelling.  The HR side of the house has her name spelled correctly.  The MED side of the house says that HR has the name spelled incorrectly and they cannot change it in the MED world until HR updates it.  HR again states that it is correct (and it is!) on their end.  As of right now, I am at a loss of what to do because the problem remains "unsolved" at this point.  I feel a bit like a ping pong ball back and forth and I just want to say "CHANGE IT ALREADY!"  This really isn't that difficult. 

Onto problem #2.  I have four kids.  3 boys and 1 girl.  I submitted the medical clearance paperwork on all the kids last week (which started problem #1).  In addition to the e-mail with my daughters name spelled incorrectly, I also received an e-mail stating that nothing could be done with my sons' paperwork because they are not listed as dependents (EFM's) in the HR database.  I should speak with my HR rep to correct the problem.  Easy enough, right?  I speak with my HR rep who informs me that all of my children are listed in the HR database.  She responds via e-mail to me and the MED world with a picture of the database showing all the kids listed (also showing my daughter's name spelled correctly, but these are just details, right).  MED world responds to me that they cannot seem to pull up that information so it must be wrong on the HR side.  I should speak with my HR rep again.  Okay??  I again speak with my HR rep who states AGAIN, that everything is correct on the HR side (which it is!) and this is a MED problem.  So here I am again with the ping pong feeling and at a loss of what to do.  We are five days (3 business days) into this issue with no solution in sight.

So I might have four kids or maybe just one.  The one kid I definately have may have one name or maybe it is another.    So far everything for my wife is in order and she has received medical clearance.  I guess she gets to come along and keep her name. 

Is life in government really this difficult? Je ne sais pas!

5 comments:

  1. We had one of our children disappear from MEDS records... poof... no more three children. That was strange. The eldest child just didn't exist to them. I think it is typical, from what I hear. Scary. Keep copies of everything and make sure everything is correct on your end. They (State) won't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so bizarre! Well, at least you have your wife, right? The kids aren't that big a deal....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog today and have added a link to it to my blogroll of future FS blogs at http://lifeagfterjerusalem.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well...be glad they didn't refer to you as a "she"...My emails consisted of me being referred to as a "he". My name is pretty feminine...so I don't know what happened there.

    = )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is the government really this difficult? Sure it is. But don't forget its amusement value.

    You have so much to look forward to. After more than 25 years, I still find little hiccups popping up in my family members' names and statuses from time to time.

    On the other hand, pay has always come right on time and correctly, and total leave hours and days have always been right. So it balances out in our favor.

    Bienvenue!

    Madam le Consul

    ReplyDelete