Sunday, April 3, 2011

A fork in the road

I have been on the register for 3 months now.  I haven't asked for an updated placement and I know it doesn't really matter.  I don't think (or haven't heard) of any classes called after March, but I also haven't been following the A-100 group.  It just got to be too much and super negative.  I also stopped meeting with my French tutor in February.  She was great, but I was not putting in the effort to progress.  Unfortunately our schedules didn't match up well and she was only available during the evenings.  We were trying to meet two nights per week, but it proved to be too much for my family.  Between basketball, violin lessons, cub scouts, homework and everything else...something had to give. 

Now I am at a fork and not sure where to go.  I could look for another tutor that would be available during the week.  I could make something work early in the mornings.  The other option I am considering is learning Arabic.  It sounds crazy (I didn't have the time for French, but would have the time for Arabic?)  I know.  I am thinking it may be more realistic to get to a level 2 in Arabic over the next year than a level 3 in French.  Who knows.  I have a couple options that may work. 

At the same time I am ready to throw in the towel so to speak.  I would like to continue the pursuit of this career, but I am not sure learning a language on a part time basis is realistic for me.  If I can't make it "in" on my own merits, is this worth it?? 

The results of the QEP will make all the difference.  If I don't make it (and I am not sure I will...just by the sound of things on A-100) then the pressure is on to move forward with a language, if this is going to happen at all. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm with you on this. I stopped following the Yahoo boards last year, and I stopped asking for updates in my status in July. It was too depressing. If I don't make it past the QEP this go around, I'm going to start pursuing a real Plan B. Who knows that that is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As they say timing is everything. It is definitely frustrating, but you made it over the biggest hurdle which is getting past the OA. On the other hand I have bonus points coming out of my ears, but got a 5.2. Stick with it and don't give up!

    ReplyDelete